The European Sustainable Healthcare Project of the Year award is an exciting new initiative that celebrates the sustainability efforts of healthcare organisations across the WHO Europe region. Open to current or candidate members of the Global Green and Healthy Hospitals network, this award recognises sustainability projects that are making a real difference in reducing the environmental impact of healthcare activities in Europe.
Share your groundbreaking work with the world and help move the sustainable healthcare movement forward - apply by 31 March. Not yet a member of GGHH? Register your interest in free membership as part of your application.
We invite healthcare organisations to submit qualitative and quantitative data about their projects that are centred around Health Care Without Harm (HCWH) Europe’s programmes, we particularly welcome those that span across multiple areas:
- Climate-smart Healthcare - e.g. mitigation, adaptation, resilience, or leadership in low-carbon healthcare projects
- Circular Healthcare - e.g. leveraging healthcare procurement to promote circularity or non-toxic sustainable product design, substituting hazardous substances, or best practice in waste prevention/management
- Safer Pharma - e.g. reducing pharmaceuticals in the environment, antimicrobial resistance, or pharmaceutical waste. Antimicrobial stewardship, greening pharmaceuticals and packaging, or preventing pharmaceuticals in wastewater
- Sustainable Food - e.g. sustainable food procurement, plant-based diets, reducing food waste in healthcare, or antimicrobial-free food purchasing
Ongoing projects that started in 2022 or projects that concluded in 2022 are eligible for the award. Applicants will be asked to submit qualitative and quantitative data as part of their application that demonstrate their impact, reach, cost/benefit, replicability, and innovation.
The judging panel
This new award will be judged by a prestigious and diverse panel of international sustainable healthcare leaders, pioneering researchers, and champions of sustainability:
- Dr Fiona Adshead, Chair - Sustainable Healthcare Coalition [UK]
- Dr Oliver Groene PhD, CEO - International Network of Health Promoting Hospitals and Health Services [DE]
- Gary Cohen, President and Co-Founder - Health Care Without Harm [US]
- Sonia Roschnik, Executive Director - Geneva Sustainability Centre (International Hospital Federation) [CH]
- Simona Agger, Professor/Architect and HCWH Europe Board member [IT]
The judging panel will announce a shortlist of four finalists in May 2023, who will be invited to join us in Berlin to meet the panel and other finalists. The award ceremony will be broadcast live from Berlin on 7 June 2023 as part of our online conference CleanMed Europe. Travel and accommodation expenses will be covered, and each finalist will be asked to present a short summary of their project.
All finalists will receive a certificate and two free passes to the online conference CleanMed Europe 2023 - where the winner will be announced. They will be highlighted and celebrated across HCWH Europe’s extensive network of healthcare organisations and professionals, with the winning organisation prominently featured. The winner will also receive a winner’s pack featuring digital materials and communication support to promote their achievements, including a press release and short video.